Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Spudman- Another Trip

The Spudman is an Olympic distance Triathlon. Andrew wanted to enter this particular race with his brothers and brother-in-law because you get to swim down river. The current is pretty helpful for those who don't usually swim. :-) He knows his strengths at least.

So we left on Friday and drove the 4 hours to a town that has tourism once a year, during the Spudman. Burley, Idaho. It actually was nice and quaint. We set our tent up along with about 20 other families in a park off the main road, across from one of the transition stations.

It actually would have been fine . . . except I am NOT a camper (tent camper) especially not with a baby. After this trip my opinion on the topic was reaffirmed!

We cosily settled in for an early bedtime because the guys were waking up at 5 am to get to their stations on time. Boston did great for the first 2.5 hours. So she slept from 8:30-11:00pm. Then she started to stir. Without a crib she quickly crawled between me and Andrew and started saying . . . Dadd- ie. (Very cute, but very loud in a silent park with very serious athletes wanting to get very serious sleep).

I bet you all know where this is going. So good-ol' Mom (non-triathlon participant) heroically tried to silence and put the baby back to sleep. She gets kicked, whacked (un-intentionally), and hair-pulled in the process.

12 am- Still awake.

1 am- Still awake with baby getting louder.

2 am- Mom gives up. Plays with baby in car (so she doesn't keep everyone else up) for 3 HOURS, at which time baby finally decides it is night-time and she is tired.


5-6am- Sleep.

6am- Everyone up.

If my addition is right that means dear sweet Boston let me (MOM) sleep a total of 3.5 hours. It was a blast!

-------------

Besides that little set back it was a good day. The sister-in-laws were great and we had a fun time running from station to station together. I actually was able to function and Andrew did awesome for his first Olympic distance triathlon. You swim 1 mile, bike approx. 25 miles, and run a 10k. It is pretty grueling. It was nice to be there to support him but unfortunately I think in coming years he might be making the trip alone unless a hotel is furnished.

I have attached some photos of him for your enjoyment.






9 comments:

Mel said...

love it! i agree! my idea of camping is a night at the marriott! :)

Ann said...

Welcome to the blogging world Jess! You're off to a great start with all your fun posts. Pass along a big congrats to Andrew on the Spud Man. That really is amazing! He needs to drag Scott along with him next year!

Owens D.C. said...

My girlfriends brother did that race and it's a awesome, if I ever get in shape (never) I would love to do that.

Shawn, Hayley and Jack said...

hey I just checked our old e-mail and saw that you started a blog. I'm excited. I love staying intouch this way. Looks like you guys have been having fun. Boston is darling... I loved the picture with the cowboy har on. well stay in touch and I will add you to our blog list!!!

al + sar said...

Hey Jessica! Its Sarah (Bagley) Hogan...I randomly came across your blog somehow and I was so excited! Your little family is so cute and your daughter is darling!! Keep in touch...alandsar.blogspot.com

Kendra said...

It was great to see you guys last night! Kendra has a secret desire to participate in a triathlon. It sounds like a lot of fun besides all the swimming, running, biking, and staying up all night with Boston :) You’re a trooper!!!

Hector, Kimberly, Alex and Gabe said...

Look who I ran into! Small blogging world after all. I hope you don't mind if I check out your blog once in a while!

Karen Brothersen said...

Are you ever going to post again? I need to be updated! ha ha

Jesika Harmon said...

Way to sacrifice Jess so that Andrew could get some sleep :) Oh so funny!