Monday, September 8, 2008

Our Second Summer Adventure

Our next adventure took us back East to Kirtland (almost said Kirkland . . . no we did not go to Costco) anyways, we also hit up New York and Palmyra. All of them were such great places and so different.

We had a great tour guide in Kirtland who took us in chronological order to the sites that Joseph Smith visited. It was really neat to trace his footsteps and see the faith it took for him to keep going despite humble and very trying circumstances. Boston liked our walk along the Quarry trail the best where they got the stone for the temple.

New York City, our next stop, was quite the contrast to the quaint, tree-filled, Kirtland. Andrew LOVED it. He had never seen such a metropolis before. I had already been to most of the sites a few years before we were married, so he let me and my sisters shop while he took a day of site-seeing. (It's amazing how much ground you can cover in NY without a baby). I must say I have a new talent to list on any "tell me about yourself sheets" that come along . . . can navigate large stroller through New York City Streets/Sidewalks and not DIE.

Awesome View from our Room


Palmyra was our last stop and my favorite. I love the feeling that presided there. I felt so sure of my membership in the LDS Church and that this special place was where it all began.

Near Sacred Grove, outside Smith Home.

Palmayra Temple


I loved the Sacred Grove too. Our tour guide told us to watch out for Poison Ivy though and said it was everywhere along the trail. I saw some wild raspberries as we were walking and couldn't resist. Later on some people pointed out what it looked like and I was MORTIFIED! It look so much like the wild raspberries. I was sure I had poison ivy and spent the next 2 hours stressing until it didn't develop. Phew! Could you imagine sitting on an airplane for 5 hours with poison ivy. No thank you.

6 comments:

Karen Brothersen said...

That looks like such a fun trip! I can't wait to tour the church history sites with our little family. You all look so good and happy! I love your blog! Karen

Avree said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Avree said...

I deleted my comment above because I noticed a typo. Anyways...I'm so glad you've entered the blogging world! Blogs are such a fun way to keep up with what everyone is doing. Your trips look like fun! You look great and Boston is adorable! We need to get together soon!

Nikki said...

Hey, thanks for inviting us to your blog. That trip looks awesome, I would love to do that with the fam sometime.

Word Whipped said...

I love the blog! Looks like you guys had fun on your trip. Boston is getting so big...they grow up too fast!

Melinda said...

Neat trip. I didn't realize you had gone to NY. Good for you.